Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

My response to the everide RX3 review

Here is what I posted on a few groups, the youtube video and everide's Facebook page. Yes it's probably petty and comes across butt hurt. Oh well, I have an opinion too and and 6000 more miles than him on my RX3...

As an RX3 owner I was curious as to what the review would entail and I will say it was exactly what I expected. It was accurate and honest but no surprise, disparaging as expected. Came across as the bike is ok but it can’t do x, y, z, etc… It reminded me of pandering to “purists” because if you said the Chinese bike is a good deal for what it is, your primary fan base would call you a sellout, tell you all the places and things this bike CANT do that they can on their KTM, KLR, BMW, etc. I felt the point you were trying to make, and I’m paraphrasing, “CSC markets the bike as a true Dual Sport Adventure bike and it can’t do what the other true Adventure bikes can do”. Really? Adventure is a subjective term. You ran that bike, stock configuration, through some pretty rough shit. As you showed, it made it, can do it but not as good as heavier duty established dual sport bikes. Muffler bolts came out, screws loose, bent rim, crash bars bent, I get it, really do. Bike ran great didn’t it? No engine issues? You might have mentioned that, but where is the laugh in that? You thought it’d be cute to have your wife beat you in a drag race with her Prius, great for a laugh but dude, it’s a 350lb 250cc. Of course the bike will beat it off the line but the top speed is 70-80mph. It’s not marketed as a fast bike, it can’t be and never will be. But you got your laugh from the primary fan base of “true” Adventure riders.

Here’s my point. Im 5’5 145 lbs. I wanted a small bike that had crash bars, luggage, bucket/passenger seat, large fuel tank, water cooled, fuel injection. I had a budget of around 6000. I looked a TONS of used and new bikes. I keep reading peoples comments about “for 4000 bucks you can buy a used dual sport from an established manufacturer”. Really? Where is this small used dual sport with all the things I mentioned I wanted for under $6000. Sure, lots of bikes out there for that price but not with the options I’m looking for. I don’t want a dirt bike with addons. I don’t want an 800cc (smallest I could find) BMW that I have to squash the suspension on so I can ride it. I wanted a small adventure type bike and low and behold there’s the RX3. I researched CSC and Zongshen for 2 months before pulling the trigger. Why? Because like everyone else I was skeptical of the Chinese and price too good to be true thing. I will say after reading tons of material, talking to CSC and other owners of the RX3 and Zongshen powered motorcycles I was surprised at the overwhelming positive info. Long story short I bought it.
It’s my belief that the RX3 fits a niche. Not everyone wants to be Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman doing an around the world adventure on gigantic $25000+ motorcycles. I live in the PNW. I can ride an hour any direction and get semi desert, mountains, ocean, multiple state and national forest parks. I just needed a bike to get me to work and do some gravel road exploring. I only have 7000 miles on the bike and owned for just over 7 months. I’ve had ZERO mechanical issues. I’ve wrecked it on some pretty wicked clay/mud/rocky trails that I really probably shouldn’t have been on but was able to get back home no problem, able to get parts and get my bike back together VERY inexpensively.

My concern is your review will further stigmatize this small reliable dual sport as a novelty. It is not by any means in my opinion. There are thousands of these bikes all over the world, traveling across China, Russia, Europe, South America under different brand names and mostly carburated versions. You could have totally reviewed it as a good bike for what it is, instead you focus on what it is not because you think it’s being marketed that way? In reality more of an entertainment piece. Get a good laugh trying to beat the shit out of the bike and make the “purists” feel good about spending a ton on their bikes that most will never even take on trails like what you did on the RX3. Again, “Adventure” is subjective. I hope that people who are thinking of the RX3 as an option for a small, reliable inexpensive dual sport bike will not be swayed by your review. In reality you beat the shit out of it but it’s still going and you’re able to auction it off. Most people who would by this bike ain’t gonna subject it to that degree of “offroad” riding.
I do agree with your comparison to Hyundai, Kia, etc. I appreciate you trying to put the positive in but obviously came across as not to disappoint your fan base for the sake of entertainment.

I just hope CSC continues on and are successful. They believe in their product and back it 100%. The warranty is great and their customer service cannot be beat. Parts have been super easy to get. It’s a good looking bike with cool options, easy to maintain, reliable, fun to ride and inexpensive. I could go on and on.

Im the type of guy you addressed in the beginning of your review, so hope I didn’t disappoint…