Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #1

I think I'm done with making it mine / mods

Thanks to so many members here for all the great ideas, help and support and especially Spudrider.

I finally got the 13 tooth front sprocket on and changed the rear tire to a Shinko SR244 in 4.60 - 17.

Had to replace the replacement carb, the same problem arose after 1600 km where the slide began to rub on the inside wall and cause poor performance. Of course my dealer (not being CSC) would not replace it under warranty, they said I ride in rough conditions (???). I wasn't surprised, Motortstar has no customer service principals .

I got an after market 34mm, flat sided slide carb, Koso brand locally.

But now that baby runs. Great performance from the carb and 21 to 24 kilometers to the liter. Probably could get more but I ride fast and hard. She "get's up and Go's". Loves 80 KPH, get's there right now and get's up to 125 KPH no problem and even on to 140 KPH there isn't any real wait time. I just don't like that 125 plus here with our road conditions.

Oh, and yes Spud and the others about the Mobil 1 diesel motor oil, I changed to that as well, it does seem to have improved the shifting and neutral.

I had ordered all the change over parts prior to October 2015 when I was up in the mud and mountains, those rides would have been much easier with the conversion to it's current stage.

Not sure on what part of those rides I did it but I managed to tear the Meniscus again in my left knee. This may put an end to my dirt riding and even street for many months. Figures doesn't it, spend all that time and money getting it right and then BANG, your out...

Again thanks to everyone here, you have been great and I appreciate all the input.

www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 AM   #2

Thanks for posting the update, and all your kind words, Robin. We always enjoy your posts, and we are very glad we were able to help you.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
I got an after market 34mm, flat sided slide carb, Koso brand locally.
Hi, I was eyeing one of those the other day, my question to you is, did you have to adapt or modify the intake boot and air filter boot, or is this carb a direct fit? Thanks in advance,

Juanro

Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Hi, I was eyeing one of those the other day, my question to you is, did you have to adapt or modify the intake boot and air filter boot, or is this carb a direct fit? Thanks in advance,

Juanro
Hello Juanro, it's "almost" a direct fit, real close but... We had to loosen the air box bolts and move it forward (towards) the carb as much as possible. I'd have to look at it again to be sure but I think it is the farthest back bolt that we could not reinstall properly and used a large self tapping sheet metal screw in it's place; you'll know which one when your in there. Just loosen or remove all the existing bolts and then install the easy ones first (lightly), see the one that doesn't want to play right and your done.

As I mentioned, I'm real happy with this new carb, very responsive, unlike the OEM substandard junk.

Where are you located?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Robin! Glad to read that the bike is responding well to the new carburertor! And also glad to read that the bike is all set with the 13T sprocket, rear tire and oil change. But... very sorry to read about the knee! Hopefully some care will help it heal quickly so you can go out and really enjoy the fruits of your efforts / modifications!

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

My first thought at the thread title was, Doubt it! But sorry about your knee. I hope you heal quickly!

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Robin. I'm from Argentina. In Colombia it seems that the importer (AKT) is replacing the carbs with a TK MV34 (same that came with the Megelli, which share the NC250 engine), but it's not available here. But there is a wide selection of flat slide 34mm carbs, Koso and other brands.
Hope you recover of your knee injury soon and can be again on the saddle.

Regards

Juanro

Old 01-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Thanks for the info Robin. I'm from Argentina. In Colombia it seems that the importer (AKT) is replacing the carbs with a TK MV34 (same that came with the Megelli, which share the NC250 engine), but it's not available here. But there is a wide selection of flat slide 34mm carbs, Koso and other brands.
Hope you recover of your knee injury soon and can be again on the saddle.

Regards

Juanro
I thought you had EFI there in Argentina, I'm sure you'll be happier with a different carb than OEM.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #9

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery, Robin. Please do keep us updated.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

Someday I'm going to grow up but apparently not today... my new Tiger ears and tail, got a lot of laughs from it the first day out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-03 15.19.28.jpg (94.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-03 15.19.39.jpg (100.2 KB, 202 views)

Old 03-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #11

I like your helmet decoration, but not the helmet itself.
You should get yourself a helmet which will protect your chin and jaw in a crash, maybe a flip-up style if it's important to be able to quickly show your face.
Also, your current helmet sits tall on your head, ideally you should just be able to scratch your eyebrows.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranberg View Post
I like your helmet decoration, but not the helmet itself.
You should get yourself a helmet which will protect your chin and jaw in a crash, maybe a flip-up style if it's important to be able to quickly show your face.
Also, your current helmet sits tall on your head, ideally you should just be able to scratch your eyebrows.
Flip-up's are all I used to wear (Nolan Brand) and have an LS2 flip-up now that I don't wear cuz within a year it became too big for some reason, can't figure it out. This orange is an HJC and the fit is nice and firm. The selection of helmets here is not great, actually very poor and what is mostly available is junk.

I always feel much better with a chin-bar but fixed full-face helmets here are just way too hot, consider we are running about 30 degree C now (about 85F or so) and humidity of only 50% right now, usually more (it's a dry day today - LMAO) at 3:00 PM on a slightly cloud covered day, and in the city traffic I'd die in a fixed full face. Honestly, last Friday it took me 45 min to travel 11 Kilometers into the city.

I have been looking and we just got a new motorcycle parts shop opened in the expanded section of SM City, plan to check them out and see but I purchased the LS2 from one of their locations in Manila, don't expect this new shop to have a big selection on hand.

I live in a third world country that isn't likely to change in my lifetime.

Thanks for the input and concern.