Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #46

Problem is, if you don't know exactly what to look for its a waste of time unless it's something physically broken and visible.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Problem is, if you don't know exactly what to look for its a waste of time unless it's something physically broken and visible.
When an engine is making strange sounds, you have a pretty good idea what to look for. The damaged part/parts will display physical defects, indicating they need to be replaced. Troubleshooting engine problems is a process of physical inspection.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
....If I were not on the other side of the country, I would certainly come by and help you, JB.....
Spud, I was wondering if you needed a Florida vacation.....

My hesitation in disassembling the engine comes more from a lack tools and work space at my Florida home than willingness to make the attempt.

Here in FL, I have to work in the driveway. Not an ideal place.

In North Carolina, I have the resources to give the job a try:

But it will be another 2 months before I'm there.

As it stands now, I doubt that a nearby shop will be found to do the necessary work.

Even if the repair is covered by the warranty, it is the RX3's owner to arrange and pay for shipping (both ways) to and from CSC.

CSC provided me with the name of a shipper that gave me a one way
estimate of $550. USD. But it will be 10 days to 2 weeks before a pickup.

I contacted several other motorcycle shippers, and received quotes up to $1,050.

I don't have a lot of confidence in U-Ship carriers, so I am having the bike picked up on Tues by Federal Motorcycle Transport for $630 USD.

To its credit, CSC has been very responsive to my problem. They have responded promptly to my emails and phone calls.

I realize this is not CSC's fault. Any vehicle can have problems.

CSC has also offered, in this case, to pay return shipping, which is a big expense that they will not be reimbursed for.

At the same time, CSC will install the new Progressive shock that I ordered.

The one condition that I was made aware of:

....if it is determined that it is something that I did that caused the problem, I am responsible for paying for all incurred expenses and costs.

That will make my $4,000 bike plus accessories into a nearly $7,000 one.

My biggest disappointment is that I will not be able to ride the RX3 for at least the next month or more.

jb

Old 03-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #49

Work space.

"Here in FL, I have to work in the driveway."

What, you don't have a dining room there in FL?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #50

I understand; I hope all goes well for you, JB. Please do keep us updated.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #51

I believe its in your best interest to contact CSC and request for them to find a shop in your area. Have them billed directly. This issue is basically negating the warranty and may in fact find the most serious chink in the CSC armor to date. I am very concerned on how this plays out on whether I would ever recommend anyone to purchase this machine.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #52

"I'm wondering if the noise might be caused by damaged bearings on the hub of the clutch basket, as described by Riceburner, in the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16000"

The dealer changed the clutch bearings but I don't know yet if that is the solution, I'll up date in a few days.
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 03-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
It's almost always a muffler bearing that goes bad. In some rare and unusual cases, it's the Johnson Rod or Kuhneutson Valve. But judging by the sound, I'd say your due for new Piston Return Spring.

Which reminds, me... I need to check my blinker fluid. It's overdue for a flush, and I probably need to get a Round Tuit.

Eco Mouse, in all my years of riding I have never encountered a problem with any muffler bearing; in my next inspection for my noise I'm going to look at my Thermonuclear Discharge Unit. I had a problem with the one on my 1970 Ford Pinto back in High School.

, ,

Old 03-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
"I'm wondering if the noise might be caused by damaged bearings on the hub of the clutch basket, as described by Riceburner, in the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16000"

The dealer changed the clutch bearings but I don't know yet if that is the solution, I'll up date in a few days.
Riceburner,

Have you listened to the video fie?

http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/...pszldnffs4.mp4

Can you determine if it is the same sound that your engine was making?

jb

Old 03-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Riceburner,

Have you listened to the video fie?

http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/...pszldnffs4.mp4

Can you determine if it is the same sound that your engine was making?

jb
Hey jbfla, I have listened to the video, I don't think mine was that bad. My noise seemed to be distinctly from the clutch housing. After replacing the bearings the noise was gone from there.

Since I rode mine home from the irresponsible dealer (they did not have the bearings in stock and could not (didn't try) to locate or order new) I've been swamped and haven't even started it since. I'm changing the rear tire right now and hope to have it back on this afternoon (my time) and then I'll check it out again and report.

I was able to locate new high quality bearings from a bearing specialty shop here in Iloilo, I'll post the pic's and such in my original link, maybe this morning.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #56

Well I decided to post the pic's here to.

In the photos the OEM / stock clutch bearing is on the right and the new replacement aftermarket is on the left; it is an IKO brand, part number KT 25-29-13 (that is the size also 25 ID, 29 OD, 13 Wide).

They are supposed to be high quality Japanese products from what I was told and what I was able to look up on the Net.

You should be able to see a substantial difference in the bearing housing of the IKO in respect to the OEM, hope the pic's show it well enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-18 13.54.21.jpg (89.6 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-18 13.54.42.jpg (101.0 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-18 13.57.50.jpg (99.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-18 13.55.47.jpg (91.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-18 13.55.55.jpg (91.0 KB, 240 views)

Old 03-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #57

Thanks for posting the update with the good information on the clutch bearings, Robin.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
I believe its in your best interest to contact CSC and request for them to find a shop in your area. Have them billed directly. This issue is basically negating the warranty and may in fact find the most serious chink in the CSC armor to date. I am very concerned on how this plays out on whether I would ever recommend anyone to purchase this machine.
I understand your concern, CSaddict, and agree with you.

EDIT: Hopefully the issue can be clarified.

Statement deleted due to a miscommunication as suggested by Detours in the following post.

When I posted concern about the warranty in another thread, nearly everyone thought I was being unreasonable.

From Joe Berk's Blog and book:

"We realize there may still be folks who absolutely don’t want to work on their bikes. We’re betting that won’t happen too often. But if you’re in that category, fear not. We’ll find an independent shop in your area and arrange whatever maintenance your bike needs directly with them."

My following statement was an apparent miscommunication:

"This option was not offered to me. It was my responsibility to find a shop and have them contact CSC. The two shops I contacted had no interest in working on the bike or contacting CSC."

In an email from CSC:

"CSC's policy is to help you , if needed, to find you a local shop.

You have the liberty to go where you want.

If you don't know of any shops, then of course, CSC will do its best to provide options."

This is what I have asked for from the beginning, a clear statement of what will and will not be done.

It is my choice to ship the bike to CSC, at my expense.

I am still not clear about the difference between my case and the following:

In another instance, Superdude's friend had an engine problem due to his own negligence, and:

"CSC picked up the bike from his house, took the old motor out put a new motor in AND they ported and polished the head on the new motor before sending it back, all at no cost to my buddy."

In my case, I had to arrange shipping myself and was told:

"typically owner pays shipping both ways"

In their favor, CSC offered to pay return shipping. Although that would have been offset if I had been able to find a shop. The shop rate of $75 to $80 per hour would have quickly added up with an engine repair.

Shipping the RX3 back to CSC was a difficult decision for me to make.

I am retired, on a fixed income, and the shipping cost ($630 USD) is a significant amount of money.

My reasons to ship the bike:
...not having the tools or workspace at hand.
...not finding a local shop to work on the bike.
...CSC knows the engine, and has parts on hand if necessary.

My intent in posting this thread was not to be a warranty test case.

I was hoping someone would have heard the tapping engine sound before, and know exactly what the problem is.

There are only a few hundred RX3's in the US, but there are thousands worldwide.
According to Joe Berk, the Colombia distributor/manufacturer imported 6,000 RX3s.

I find it difficult to believe that I was the only one lucky enough to have their RX3 develop this problem.

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 03-28-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #59

I wonder if there was a miscommunication about CSC finding a shop. When I had my engine trouble (and before I knew a piece of metal had fallen in the intake), CSC asked if I had a local shop I trusted, and offered to find me a local shop since I didn't.

But then a generous Colorado rider offered to trailer my RX3 to CSC when he went on the Baja trip.

I don't doubt you, jbfla ... just sharing my experience.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I wonder if there was a miscommunication about CSC finding a shop. When I had my engine trouble (and before I knew a piece of metal had fallen in the intake), CSC asked if I had a local shop I trusted, and offered to find me a local shop since I didn't.....
I don't doubt you, jbfla ... just sharing my experience.
Thanks, Detours. I will ask again, to be sure.

I don't mean to make a big deal of the warranty issue, but I think everyone should be treated equally,

and if the terms were clearly stated, and applied, there would be fewer misunderstandings.

If it were any other part of the motorcycle except the engine, I would be taking care of it myself.

Edit: Forgot that CSC is closed on Mondays, will try to get an answer tomorrow.

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 03-28-2016 at 01:11 PM.