Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The new RX3 forks employ conventional fork bushings, which are located on the outside of the inner fork tube.

The standard Chinese forks placed the bushings inside the outer fork tube, which made them very inaccessible. The RX3 forks are designed the same as Japanese forks, and this design is much superior. I continue to be impressed with the design improvements Zongshen has incorporated into the new RX3 motorcycle.

Zongshen has also added rebound damping to their latest RX3 forks. If the cost is reasonable, I would certainly consider upgrading to the latest fork design.
I'm pleased to see that. I might consider upgrading my bikes as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #2462

The

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Last edited by Wolftrax; 03-07-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #2463

I initially questioned my decision on purchasing an untested Chinese motorcycle. From the beginning there was just a a gut feeling that this bike would be different. Every picture I've seen of this bike exudes quality. The support of CSC, whether Iit be parts, service tutorials, customer involvement, accessories, etc, you name it has far exceeded my expectations. Most of all this forum confirms my purchase decision as being a good one. Though I've never met Steve, Joe or anyone on this forum, I consider all of you partners in this bike. Contrary to what the naysayers might think, there is no lack of support for the CSC RX3!!

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #2464

I was reading about the 2015 Honda Africa Twin and found this gem of a chart. It ranks a variety of dual sport and adventure bikes for dirt and street performance and charts them by displacement.

The yellow oval shows a 'gap' in bikes with dirt performance in the 700-1000cc range. But I wanted to highlight the other gap ... in small displacement adventure bikes ... exactly where the RX3 fits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adv-market-gap_1b.jpg (69.6 KB, 483 views)

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #2465

That is an informative chart, and a perceptive insight. You contribute a lot of interesting information, Detours.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #2466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm pleased to see that. I might consider upgrading my bikes as well.
The RX3 forks have very similar dimensions to the standard, Chinese forks on my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. Therefore, I thought they were most probably designed the same internally, with only minor external differences. I am glad to say I was mistaken.

The standard Chinese forks use shorter springs with a large metal spacer on top of them. Consequently, the springs are not as strong as desired. Please note the springs, spacers, and cartridges in the following photograph.

Unless the spacer is at the bottom, it appears the RX3 forks don't employ the large spacer. Therefore, the springs are probably longer and more robust.

Traditionally, the Chinese bikes have had inferior suspensions. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised when the magazine reviewers gave such good ratings to the RX3's suspension. The improved forks have undoubtedly contributed to the improved ride.

Also, the RX3 employs a progressive, lower shock linkage, which has been notably absent in many Chinese motorcycles. In addition, Zongshen has added rebound damping and pneumatic pressure to the RX3 shock absorber. These features have undoubtedly improved the rear suspension.

Now we learn Zongshen as developed new, upgraded forks which have added rebound damping.

I am very impressed with the way Zongshen continues to improve this motorcycle. If the RX3 forks fit my other Zong's triple tree, I might move them over to the smaller bike, which will give me an excuse to install the upgraded forks on the RX3.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #2467

Is anyone else impressed with the polish and finish on the internal engine and fork parts? It's one thing to see a nice polish on metal parts like handlebars, but seeing a good finish on internal parts shows attention to detail.

Two questions on the RX3 forks:
  1. Is there any need to protect inverted forks from dirt and rock damage (in addition to the fork guards) ... fork boots? gaiters?
  2. Is there any need for a fork brace (like this one) to strengthen an inverted fork?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #2468

Any one else notice the gold wheels in the wheel removal section of the CSC blog? come on Joe post a full pick of a bike with bling bling wheels .

I've had mix results with fork gaters on my KTM 200. I'm convinced they trap more dirt and mud then they keep out. Seemed like I went through fork seals faster with them on. I fall down pretty often on this bike and the plastic fork gards have done a good job protecting the stanchions.

I don't think a fork brace will likely be required with inverted forks, I'd be surprised if you could find one that would fit anyway.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #2469

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Is anyone else impressed with the polish and finish on the internal engine and fork parts? It's one thing to see a nice polish on metal parts like handlebars, but seeing a good finish on internal parts shows attention to detail.

Two questions on the RX3 forks:
  1. Is there any need to protect inverted forks from dirt and rock damage (in addition to the fork guards) ... fork boots? gaiters?
  2. Is there any need for a fork brace (like this one) to strengthen an inverted fork?
Yes, I am impressed by the quality of manufacture of the parts. However, I am not surprised; I am accustomed to such quality from Zongshen.

There is no need for a fork brace. The 37mm USD forks are very robust; I have USD forks the same size on my Zongshen ZS200GY-2.

Lower fork guards are sufficient protection for USD forks. The chevron shape of the fork guards on the RX3 is very stylish, but unconventional.

I like the appearance of the chevron fork guards. The lower fork tubes are also somewhat encased, and protected by the front fender and its supports.

In everything but the sloppiest conditions, I'm confident the stock fork guards should work very well. If proven necessary, it won't be hard to add a little additional protection. However, I agree with 3banger; I don't like gaiters.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 PM   #2470

Forty-five minutes ago the Hanjin Germany was sailing southeast at 12.0 knots from the following location.

LAT: 41° 54' N LONG: 136° 08' W

Having crossed the 42nd parallel, the vessel is now due west of the northern California coast.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #2471

Ah, lots of questions and lots of developments.

Regarding the wheels, see the CSC blog. Please, no phone calls on this package yet; it's still in development. But it shreds. It's awesome. When the wheels are available we will post the info on the blog.

Regarding the foam air filter and if it is oiled from the factory, I didn't think to ask when I watched them building the bikes on my most recent visit to Chongqing. The airbox is installed on the line as a complete subassembly (which is typical for assembly line operations in any industry). On our test bike that we used for the air filter maintenance tutorial, I couldn't tell by looking at it if had been oiled. That bike has about 8,000 miles on it and the filter was relatively clean. Most of its miles were on the dyno, so it was all indoors.

I don't have any personal experience with Notoil, but based on the preferences expressed on this board, we'll look into stocking it.

Regarding the questions on fork braces...same thing, I've never used them on any motorcycle. I've read positive and negative things about them, but I have no personal experience with them and certainly no experience using a fork brace on the RX3.

On the question of fork gators, etc., some people can get damage on the forks that can ruin the fork seals. I've never had that happen on any motorcycle I've ever owned. The only motorcycle of the many I've owned that ever had a fork seal leak was a '95 Triumph 1200 Daytona, and that one failed from old age shortly after I bought the bike. I bought it brand new when it was 7 years old (it's a story for another time).

Old 03-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #2472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
I initially questioned my decision on purchasing an untested Chinese motorcycle. From the beginning there was just a a gut feeling that this bike would be different. Every picture I've seen of this bike exudes quality. The support of CSC, whether Iit be parts, service tutorials, customer involvement, accessories, etc, you name it has far exceeded my expectations. Most of all this forum confirms my purchase decision as being a good one. Though I've never met Steve, Joe or anyone on this forum, I consider all of you partners in this bike. Contrary to what the naysayers might think, there is no lack of support for the CSC RX3!!
We appreciate your contributions to this community, Mark. We are very glad you joined us. You have the true China Riders spirit.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #2473

That's a great look without the boxes. I had to do a double take before I recognized the bike. Just read a report stating it will take two to three months for the port of Long Beach to get back to normal.http://www.cnbc.com/id/102446078
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JW1.jpg (100.8 KB, 365 views)

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post

[/LIST]
Of all the pictures I've seen the quality of all the parts blows me away. Dare I say "Yamaha quality".

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 03-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #2475

while your waiting for the slow boat

Here's a video of a Russian guy up to stuff with his engine on a Kayo T6 250.
Not quite the same engine as ours but it is a ZS177M.

http://www.topictimes.com/videos/aut...mgwdu1NHA.html

( some more vids under Related Videos)

regarding the bluey round bit on the headlight . Mine has nothing in it