Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2015, 02:47 AM   #46

Mine will go into neutral with engine off easily also. rj

Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
... Is this an oil issue?
dirty oil issue? change oil every 3000 miles...
What engine oil are you using? Page 51 of the Owner's Manual says to change the engine oil every 2,500 miles.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #48

I'm running Valvoline 4 stroke mc atv 15/40 jaso-ma2 oil Spud, rj

Old 10-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #49

Quote:
So here's a question for you guys.
Can you guys find neutral easily?
My RX3 is a bear to get into neutral at stop lights . I can get it into first or second but neutral I really have to work at and then the light usually changes so off I go. I'm running Valvoline 4 stroke mc atv 15/40 jaso-ma2 oil and have the cable adjusted properly I think . Little bit of play ,no sign of clutch slippage. My NC700x is pure buttery smooth to find neutral. It's magical.
I know I can just leave it in gear at stop lights, but I'm anal about it and even kick my car into neutral at stop lights and it's a automatic . It's my thing OK.
Is this an oil issue?
dirty oil issue? change oil every 3000 miles
cable adjusting issue?
or design issue?
Have around 6200 miles on Don Quixote (for those of you who read Joes great book.) thanks, rj

Chain and clutch cable adjustment might fix it. My Tiger 1050 actually needed the chain to be very loose for it to shift right, if it was even a little tight, shifting was horrible. Neutral on that bike was a pain when it wasn't adjusted "just right".

Lee

Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. My RX3 slips easily into neutral when the engine is off.
Mine slips right past neutral into 2nd or 1st. It takes a very careful half shift to stop in neutral.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #51

It's tough to find neutral on my RX3 with the engine running. Switching to full synthetic oil made no difference, which surprised me. My strategy is to tap down very lightly on the shift pedal from 2nd, ideally when the bike is still rolling to a stop. It's possible to develop a feel for this.

I don't have trouble finding neutral when the engine is off, but even then the "detent" is quite light and easy to miss.

BTW I always "break" the clutch plates free before starting a cold engine. With engine off, select first gear, pull clutch lever in, and roll the bike forward a foot or two. You'll feel the plates disengage. Then find neutral and start engine. Saves wear on transmission when you first put it into gear.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #52

Neutral is probably general problem of this model (nc/zs177mm) , same problem me too have, any oil type diffirent , generaly motor is cold easyly find neutral, clutch cable sett sometimes good result for neutral but performance down.

Source of NEUTRAL problem here. this old standart myzs177mm, and rx3 part now included it too same tight tolarance of neutral finder. , i hope next generation solved this problem.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #53

Quote:
My RX3 is a bear to get into neutral at stop lights.
I assure you that I'm not questioning your skills as a rider, I'm only participating in brainstorming.

I've had trouble finding neutral on some of my bikes, and have found two techniques that some bikes respond to. One is to shift the bike into second, give the throttle a quick rev, and then slide the shifter down as the revs are returning to neutral.

The other technique is sorta the opposite; give the throttle a quick rev, and then slide the shifter up into neutral from first.

My theory is that it has to do with shift drum design. The neutral detent on a shift drum is usually a narrow perch, so that you don't accidentally hit neutral while shifting into second on the fly. Even with the clutch fully disengaged (lever pulled in), the rear wheel will typically spin on a motorcycle, as the engine is revved. Try it; put your bike on a stand in neutral, and rev the throttle. For whatever reason, briefly revving the motor seems to coax the primary shaft to move just enough to ease the follower onto the neutral detent a little easier.

YMMV. This isn't a cure for all bikes, but it has worked for me in the past.

As I write this, something else just occurred to me; perhaps a stiffer follower spring would allow the follower to more easily locate the neutral detent. Just a theory; I'm not an engineer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #54

Upon looking at Co2's pics, it does seem that the neutral detent is shallower that most bikes I've worked on. I'd almost be inclined to transfer the radius of the bearing a little deeper into the detent, perhaps with a Dremel. If it was a little deeper (but still had smooth, radiused edges), it might slip into neutral a little easier, yet still shift directly from first to second on the fly.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #55

If you are stopped and have a hard time finding neutral, try a small blip of throttle, revving a bit will help you find it. Try it

Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #56

"Hi my name is Bob , I've been an RX3 owner for 5 months and it's been 3855 MILES SINCE MY LAST OIL CHANGE."
Dang where did time go? I'm thinking my dirty oil is a big contributor in my hard to find neutral problem. Ya Think. rj

Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #57

I had a tough time finding neutral as well, but I adjusted the clutch cable to be slightly tighter, and I tightened my shift lever (very light wobble.) Once I did that, I have a much easier time finding neutral. YMMV, but it worked for me.

In terms of oil, I'm using Castrol 4T. But I changed the factory fill early (50 miles) because I'm not keen on having break-in materials floating in the oil for 200 - 500 miles. Probably paranoia, but for the cost of the oil and filter, it was cheap insurance.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #58

Quote:
"Hi my name is Bob , I've been an RX3 owner for 5 months and it's been 3855 MILES SINCE MY LAST OIL CHANGE."
Dang where did time go? I'm thinking my dirty oil is a big contributor in my hard to find neutral problem. Ya Think. rj

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #59

You guys would be proud of me . Changed oil today and am trying Honda GN4 10-40wt. Oil I also run in my NC700X. Doubt it will make a lot of difference but psychologically I'm sure it will run more oranger, get into neutral easier and my conscience will sleep tonight.
All went well till I did an oops.
BE FORWARNED. DONT HAPHAZARDLY PUT THE OIL STRAINERS IN THE MOTOR THINKING THEY'LL JUST FALL INTO PLACE. THERES BIG GAPING HOLES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE STRAINER HOLE AND I LOST ONE INSIDE THE MOTOR. I LOOKED AROUND WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND COULD BARELY SEE THE CORNER OF IT. I HAD PUSHED IT IN THE HOLE AND IT DIDN'T STOP SO I PUSHED IT FARTHER AND IT WENT BYE BYE. Was able to get it fished around with a small allen wrench then grabbed it with needle nose pliers and fished it back out. So from now on I'll put the strainer into the cap then insert both together so I know they go in strait. And pay attention to putting the large hole end into the motor.
"Hi my name is Bob, (everyone-- Hi Bob) it's been 36 minutes since I last changed my oil" rj

Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #60

Today I replaced oil for first time, I put inside Castrol 4T 15W 50 made in Italy .
I got surprised because 1,9 liters came out and with the specified 1,6 liters I couldn´t see the oil not even at the minimum !!!, I just reached around 1,85 -1,9 to get the upper mark.
I changed oil in the morning, put 1,6 liters and leave it go down a few hours and in the afternoon should add the rest.
Here the owners manual says 1,35 liters !!!, in internet they say 1,6 !!!