Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 AM   #1

2007 hi-bird QH250-gy

So..... I picked up a 2007 with only 27 (apparent) miles on it. Looked clean and good, but was disassembled/not quite complete. More-so than I was led to believe over the phone, but at $200, I couldn't resist..
I was told it didn't spark, but when I put it together, and got a battery (another $70), It sparked ok. Curious. So bought a front tube since mine had half the valve broken off and was useless.
I put it together, gassed it up, and it cranked over. Started up and started nice when cold. I'm missing the cable for the choke but no problem. Something did sound 'tight/funny' but I assumed it was just a new engine breaking in and not too serious.
So, I registered it, and took it over a friends to show him as he's into bikes.
Coming home, I lost ALL power. When I took it apart, I found the timing chain had broke. No damage, but engine came apart to get to it. At least I know the odometer works and it's probably original mileage. Was still an expensive 5 miles...

So.... Now I have to find a timing chain and guides, (everything else looks ok) and I've been to taobao.com, to the hi-bird site, amazon, and ebay. VERY difficult to find a timing chain (or cam chain) for this model.
If anyone knows the timing chain I can use, I'd love to know. I thought I had one ('08 yamaha yzf 450) but it was close but not good. I brought the chain with me and should have brought the cam and gear. lol.

PLEASE HELP. I have enjoyed this site and think the chinese have good potential but are killing themselves not offering ANY kind of support for them here in the US. I don't care if it's got too many links as long as they fit. I'll shorten the chain..

I'll also probably paint the white side panels another color. I have lots of ideas for it, IF i can get it running again, and all I need is the chain...

Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

That won't be too hard. Let's start with engine ID. What are the numbers stamped near the gearshift?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

Thanks

First, let me say thank you for the help.
I'm assuming the number you want is the 169FMM.
I'm also assuming the next number is the serial number, but If i'm wrong that's fine. It's *87600236*

Old 08-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

Search these keywords in http://cqgty.taobao.com (1-stop store for Chonda engine / Price not always great BUT can get the idea from there )
Cam chain: 链 正时 | Guide 张紧条

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-17-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the help Weldangrind, and Humanbeing.... I ordered from TaoBao. Not too much money, but I have NO idea if they're being sent, and it's been a while. lol. I got a chain from somewhere (think ebay or amazon, but not sure) and bought a chain tool from them too. The chain I got had an extra link, so I pressed it out and put it together, and it starts up! Runs ok too. No 'tight' sounding sounds... It has some weird sounds, but hope it's just breaking in. When I was taking it apart, I noticed a valve may not have been gapped right. The adjustment screw was all the way backed out.. wasn't even hitting the valve stem. I took it out tonight and easily hit 50 (mph). I don't want to push it because it SEEMS like the mileage is true, which is 34 miles presently. And I put 7 on myself! I don't know the story behind this bike, but it's pretty clean. I'll post a few pics of it outside soon, once I figure it out..
I'm looking forward to seeing what these Chondas can do....

Old 10-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevernuf View Post
I don't know the story behind this bike, but it's pretty clean. I'll post a few pics of it outside soon, once I figure it out..
I'm looking forward to seeing what these Chondas can do....
This bike is a small stroll down memory lane for Chinariders. There was (maybe still is) a retailer who did mail order as well called Vbike out of Oklahoma City. They sold these left and right for several months. Many people here bought them.

The significance of them was that they were (probably) the first enduro Chinabike advertised, and available to the masses in the US, as being over 200cc. There was a twin bike sold under a brand called Komoto (or something like that) that was $100 more because they had a couple extra features like perhaps dual disc brakes and upside down forks, but it was essentially the same bike at the same time (different online retailers, though).

Once these bike were sold out, the retailers ordered up a batch of enduros identical to the Komodo and Hi-Bird but with 200cc, and those sold out, as well. Then, there were no '250' bikes for a few years offered for about 3 or 4 years. You might be able to dig up some old threads about them from the search...I believe they got into some good depth like the current threads do, but not enough to keep some of them on the road from what I remember (I think that was pre-'Weldandgrind' and 'Spudrider'). Heck, yours could have come from one of the Chinariders circa 2007, 2008!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

2007 hi-bird...

So hope these show up, and they aren't too big..
Hope you enjoy these as much as I want to break it in and test it out..

[ATTACH]Name:  DSCN0492.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  97.1 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0491.jpg (97.6 KB, 1082 views)

Old 10-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #8

That bike is a real time machine!

I had almost the same bike, but mine was a disaster that was terribly rusted out. I promptly got rid of the tank cover and the "window" that you reach through to access the fuel petcock. The petcock is very long to accommodate the tank cover, and that places stress on the petcock mount. I replaced the petcock with one that was much shorter, since I don't have to deal with the tank cover. Doing so corrected my tank leak at the petcock.

Nice looking bike!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Wow... nice bike!

Interesting... I didn't know there were 250cc CBs from the "early" years. Thought they were all 200cc... and that the 250cc's were all more recent w/i the last few years. Good to know when hunting.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 10-06-2015, 01:49 AM   #10

Thank you all for the comments and such..
Yeah, I notice the long petcock. Mine was leaking, but from the old o-ring around the groove in the 'selector' handle. I stretched a new one on and stopped the leak.
The right hand 'window' is so close to the exhaust, it's melting. Going to go I think. Also the flame stickers are not long for this world, I think.
Very clean bike though, and I think the 27 miles on the odometer might actually be the mileage...
I've found out that the timing chain from my (2008) suzuki RMZ250 seems to fit the valve sprocket pretty nicely.. I didn't use it but I suspect it would have worked. I had to shorten the one I got to replace mine, but it runs good. Starts great, I hit 50 on the street, but think I'm close to maxed out. Went in the woods. Handles good enough. I'm kinda stoked about it.
Lighting could be better, and I don't know if it's loud or i'm just old...
But bottom line is I like it......
I have a donor RM 125 frame, so thinking front end and rear swingarm replacement? maybe someday.....

Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
I have a donor RM 125 frame, so thinking front end and rear swingarm replacement? maybe someday.....
That would be an interesting amalgamation!

Are you saying you had to replace (and shorten) the cam chain?

Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

I hear ya! My Kinroad is LOUD too... with it's stock exhaust. Louder than any of my previous bikes.

When I bought mine... had 62 miles on the odo. I thought wow. Turns out the speedo cable had twisted and broke... so probably not actual... but not too far off based on it's condition (tire nubbies and all). Fixed my speedo cable... but it still clocks over numbers on the odo way too fast. I think it's a metric odo.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #13

Hi Weldngrind. Yes, my cam chain (timing chain) snapped. No damage to the engine, but I had to replace it and the CB250 (chinese) chain I got was too long by one link.
So, I pressed one out to shorten it to the right length.
Works good so far!!
Ripcuda, as far as my mileage, it had 26 on it when I got it, but the miles are adding up and it's working, so I think they may be actual. I still have the nubs on my tires too....

Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 AM   #14

69mm CB250 uses http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=37760655541 3*4 (silent chain) 102L
--
65.5mm CB250 (223 actually) uses 3*4 (silent chain) 104L

Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Hi Weldngrind. Yes, my cam chain (timing chain) snapped. No damage to the engine, but I had to replace it and the CB250 (chinese) chain I got was too long by one link.
So, I pressed one out to shorten it to the right length.
Works good so far!!
Please tell us more! How did you press out a link? Any pics?