Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thanks Weld

So....what does it mean to lug the engine? Is it basically making sure the engine isn't in too high of a gear for the speed at which I am trying to travel? I have very little experience with manual transmission vehicles. I rarely drive our truck, and then only on dirt roads...

And winding it out is when it's got its RPMs too high - so in too low a gear for the speed at which I'm traveling (uh...how does this work with engine braking??)

Is there a way to find out what the optimal RPMs is for a given engine? This is clearly another skill i'm going to have to pick up and learn...
Spud's response was ideal.

Since you brought up engine braking, I'll throw out a new challenge for you. New riders will often simply pull in the clutch, downshift and then release the clutch, which can result in aggressive braking. When you pull the clutch in to downshift, give the throttle a quick rev (not too much) as you kick the shifter down, and then gently release the clutch (vs. dumping it).

After some practice, you should feel very little engine braking, but rather a smooth transition from gear to gear. It makes for a more pleasant ride, and it's easier on your bike. Be patient with yourself as you experiment with this technique; it takes time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Good for you, Sprite. You are wise to build your riding skills, and stay within your abilities.

About a year ago a small bird, probably a sparrow, hit me head on, right above my left hip, while I was riding my motorcycle. He broke his neck, and died in my lap. He didn't hurt me at all, and I really didn't realize what had happened, until I noticed a fluffy object in my lap. That freaked me out for a second, as I brushed him off my body.

It is very rare to hit a bird on a motorcycle, let alone kill one. Back in the early 1980s another small bird brushed me with his wings as he crossed the road in front of me. I don't think he was hurt.

One evening about three years ago, I also had an owl brush my arm with his wingtips. He wasn't hurt, and I was surprised he got that close to me, but I wasn't alarmed.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #3

Parking lot practice (low speed maneuvers and emergency stops) are so important. It really pays to keep those skills sharp.

Today I was leading on my new RX3, with my brother-in-law, my wife and his girlfriend following, on our way to Estes Park. I slowed down and signaled a left turn to go visit a historic church on the way. But my bil was looking at the church and didn't notice me stopping.

He swerved at the last second and was able to stop just past me. My wife dodged both of us but locked the rear brake and started fishtailing. She regained control but went onto the dirt shoulder and was almost completely stopped when the front tire slipped and she laid it down.

We honestly should have done more practice on her new TU250x, But thanks to all her practice on her old bike, she didn't panic and recovered from the fishtail. She wasn't injured and only suffered a few scratches and a bent shift lever.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Parking lot practice (low speed maneuvers and emergency stops) are so important. It really pays to keep those skills sharp.
Thank you for the reminder - I need to add more quick stop practice and some swerves into my parking lot routine. I've been focused on turns from a stop and starting without stalling :P

Definitely need to practice on the quick stops as my initial attempts resulted in locking up the rear wheel and feeling the bike fishtail/drift. I've backed off the rear brake pressure but now I suspect i'm being too timid with the braking as the stops are definitely taking more distance than I suspect they should.

I'm glad to hear your wife was not hurt. Colorado is a lovely state and I hope to visit it again some time, I remember driving some very pretty stretches of road in our truck, it would be nice to do them again on motorcycle!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thank you for the reminder - I need to add more quick stop practice and some swerves into my parking lot routine. I've been focused on turns from a stop and starting without stalling :P

Definitely need to practice on the quick stops as my initial attempts resulted in locking up the rear wheel and feeling the bike fishtail/drift. I've backed off the rear brake pressure but now I suspect i'm being too timid with the braking as the stops are definitely taking more distance than I suspect they should...
A 13T C/S sprocket will definitely help you to pull away in first gear without stalling.

When you brake it is important to downshift at the same time. The resulting compression (engine) braking helps you stop quickly, without locking the rear wheel. This is especially important when braking on dirt roads, or pavement covered with gravel/sand.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #6

I glad your wife wasn't injured. Has she taken the MSF Rider Safety Course?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 01:59 AM   #7

Detours, are you posting ride reports anywhere? How's you wife like the TU250x. I think they would be a fun ,cool little bike to travel on, rj

Old 07-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Detours, are you posting ride reports anywhere? How's you wife like the TU250x. I think they would be a fun ,cool little bike to travel on, rj
Hey RJ, here's a ride report for you

http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/show...d-Rollins-Pass

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 07-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:

If you have time, please do post your ride report here, also.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear of you minor spill at the end of the ride, but I'm glad to know you and the bike escaped with only minor damage.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks for the great pics and report Detours. I found a lot of bolts loosen up after my first ride in Hell's Canyon so when I went over them after the ride I replaced lost ones and lock-tited them . Part of the doings of adventure riding. rj

Old 07-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #12

Ya that HP number is clearly a typo. 30.2 ftlbs at 7000 rpm. Would be 40 hp!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:14 AM   #13

I really ought to post more ride reports, but I don't always take pictures during my rides. My wife loves her TU250x. It's a really fun bike that's easy to ride.

Spud, yes she took the MSF course last November. We're both new riders. I took mine last year in May. We talked about some things to work on, like staggering the line , keeping a safe distance and watching the riders in front of you. But her steady practice on her old bike gave her skills and confidence. This could have been much worse.

2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 07-19-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:34 AM   #14

I think your wife did a good job. I am glad to hear you both took the MSF Rider Safety Course. It is some of the best money you will ever spend.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #15

Detours, I'm also glad to hear that your wife wasn't hurt.

I would also like to learn more about her TU250X; if you have time, please start a thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer