Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Zongshen 200 forks

Hello all,

I don't own a Zong, but do own a TW200 (1996) and I have found a lot of useful information at this site. Our bike share a lot and I think that those TW owners who like to modify their bikes would benefit from this site. Thank you to all who contribute.

I have a question about the Zongs forks and am a novice in this area, so bear with me. The TW's forks leave much to be desired and I am considering a front end swap. Given that the Zong and TW share a similar frame, would this be possible? Do you like your forks? I am not stuck on having a wider front tire (or rear for that matter). In fact, with help from some on this forum, I'm in the process of changing wheel size for my TW (taller and narrower).

Thanks for the help!

wa_medic

Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #2

Welcome!

The tires on my fat little TW are what attracted me; I'd never change it.

I'm about to begin the Zongification of my TeeDub, thanks to all of the good reports from Spud, and his 55000 miles of faithful service. I intend to install new Zong rockers, valves, seals, gaskets, piston, rings and speedometer. I've received all of the parts from Taobao, and the seem like the very same quality I'd get from Yamaha, but at a fraction of the price. I also picked up a China TW rear rack, and it's much larger than the Yamaha version.

I don't think you can easily swap the Zong forks onto your TW, because I believe the head tube is a different diameter. It could certainly be done, but not likely without machining. When you're ready to dive in, I could take some comparative measurements of my China bikes if you like.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #3

Thanks Weld!

It's not been easy to find the steering head/tube/post/stem sizing online for either the TW or Zong. None of the tech manuals list them either and I believe this would be the crux of the procedure.

Any measurements that others have are welcome.

Surely I'm not the first try and make their TW bike more like a Zong !

wa_medic

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #4

Welcome to these forums, WM! We are very glad you joined us!

Indeed, I like my Zong's 37mm USD forks a lot. My Zong has typical, Chinese forks with about 6-1/2 inches of travel. For comparison, the TW200's conventional forks are 33mm in diameter, and have about 6.3-inches of travel.

I agree with Weldangrind. The steering heads on the two frames are probably quite different, so swapping forks would undoubtedly require a lot of machine work.

In case you haven't discovered the Zong Sticky, it is located at the top of the Dual Sport Forum. I think you might enjoy reading some of the threads.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6051

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 06-26-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome and previous info Spud!

I should clear up what I was thinking. I thought a complete front end swap might be possible. Triples, forks, brakes, and complete wheel set up.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

wa_medic

Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #6

I figured those were your intentions, WM. However, I think the differences in frame tubes, triple tree stems, et cetera, will present a significant amount of work.

However, I do believe the Zong's larger, more rigid, USD forks are superior to the smaller, conventional forks of the TW200. Also, you can certainly acquire all of the Chinese parts for a very good price from either Zongshen America, or Taobao. If you think you might want to pursue this modification, the first step is to ask for some good measurements from Weldangrind.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #7

Thanks Spud. I'll check out Zongshen America.

Weld, if it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate any frame tube measurements you can obtain or already have.

Time to start compiling data. Thanks again guys!

wa_medic

Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #8

If I were going to attempt a switch to Chinese, USD forks, I would strongly consider the Qingqi USD forks.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=15779218686

The complete front suspension, including triple tree, bearings, et cetera, costs 1,060 Chinese Yuan ($172.42 USD), plus shipping. The Qingqi/QLink/Konker forks are larger (41mm), and have greater travel than the Zong's forks. I think the Qingqi USD forks are probably the best Chinese forks manufactured, and they are readily available at good prices from Taobao.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #9

I found a better price. Here's a link to the Qingqi front suspension which is selling for 1,000 Yuan ($162.66 USD), plus shipping.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=24327124303

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #10

Not sure on the head tube stuff but if the tw has a larger diameter head, couldnt you just use a larger ball bearing in place of the factory size if the steer tube is the same length and all?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

Oh also the Q forks appear to be whats on my shinray... They look identical (other than the gold annodizing has faded completely off...lol)

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

Spud do you read Chinese! Can't recall how to view that site in english? Even possible? Thanks

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #13

Google chrome browser will translate most of it for you, but you need to know the conversion rate for the pricing...

Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #14

1 yuan is about $0.16USD.

I've inspected four different China front ends now, and only my Roketa has a non-tapered stem that allows identical bearings, upper and lower. The other three versions had tapered stems that use a smaller bearing size on the top. The Roketa is identical to the early 80's XR200 (not the R version).

Also, of the four front ends, I found three different styles of wheel offset, which impacts the speedometer. IOW, the Roketa forks will accept a different front wheel if the correct speedo adapter is mated with it.

All of the forks had the same outer tube diameter, but the triples were different widths (motocross Gio forks being the narrowest). The complete fork leg assembly was identical on three of the forks, but the Gio forks were longer. I had one outer fork tube that was missing a bushing from the factory , but I was able to swap the outer tube on from another leg that had badly rusted chrome. The OD on all of the outers is identical.

I'm installing the Gio motocross forks in Roketa triples, and installing the whole mess in an '81 XR200 frame. The Gio forks are considerably longer than the XR200 conventional forks, so the height difference will be offset with the installation of the Roketa monoshock swingarm. It's a major project, but it'll be worth it.

wa_medic, if you install USD forks on your Zong, you might need to raise the tubes in the triples to lowerr the front end properly. That's easy. In the near future, I'm going to have the Roketa front end apart again, along with my Zong, so I'll be able to take measurements for you. Feel free to bump this thread as a reminder.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
1 yuan is about $0.16USD.

I've inspected four different China front ends now, and only my Roketa has a non-tapered stem that allows identical bearings, upper and lower. The other three versions had tapered stems that use a smaller bearing size on the top. The Roketa is identical to the early 80's XR200 (not the R version).

Also, of the four front ends, I found three different styles of wheel offset, which impacts the speedometer. IOW, the Roketa forks will accept a different front wheel if the correct speedo adapter is mated with it.

All of the forks had the same outer tube diameter, but the triples were different widths (motocross Gio forks being the narrowest). The complete fork leg assembly was identical on three of the forks, but the Gio forks were longer. I had one outer fork tube that was missing a bushing from the factory , but I was able to swap the outer tube on from another leg that had badly rusted chrome. The OD on all of the outers is identical.

I'm installing the Gio motocross forks in Roketa triples, and installing the whole mess in an '81 XR200 frame. The Gio forks are considerably longer than the XR200 conventional forks, so the height difference will be offset with the installation of the Roketa monoshock swingarm. It's a major project, but it'll be worth it.

wa_medic, if you install USD forks on your Zong, you might need to raise the tubes in the triples to lowerr the front end properly. That's easy. In the near future, I'm going to have the Roketa front end apart again, along with my Zong, so I'll be able to take measurements for you. Feel free to bump this thread as a reminder.
adding to this a bit, i noticed from pics of the roketa db07a and db07, it appears as though shineray used a different front hub than roketa, since the roketa disc is held on by 4 bolts, in a rather small bolt pattern as opposed to my shineray using 6 bolts in a much larger pattern. just food for thought on the front hub situation...