Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

Hawk shopping Looking for opinions

Hey all! Sooooo I think I'm sold on buying a Hawk but would like some added input from the people who have owned them. First....my rider profile:

6'4" 220lbs without gear
Experienced dirt bike rider (dual sport, trail, etc)
My wants for this bike are NOT top speed, I'd love it if it was a snappy but not a deal breaker I just want to be able to go up hills and trail ride and cruise/commute at 50-55mph.

Ok so, as is often the case...money is an issue. I'm giving up buying rims and tires for Jeep to get my leg back over a bike. So I'm liking the price of the RPS Hawk 250, the older carbed version.

HOWEVER! How much should I expect to put into to it with upgrades right out of the box. I'd LIKE a digital gauge setup, but could add it later. I enjoy working on and modifying bikes (rebuilt a DRZ400E engine down to trans) but I dont' want to work on this thing on the side of the road or out in the woods (aside from the occasional oopsie that comes with trail riding)

So the next question is - is it worth the extra $450 to get the DLX, and if I do, am I still putting the same amount of time and money into it for reliability and enjoyment as the cheaper carbed version? Carb tinkering is not an issue for me, but also if I don't have to, all the better.

I'll be riding mostly between 1000-3000 feet with commuting in the 1000-2000 range. I live in NH.

Let's here the good and bad for my situation and also if you have a suggestion on which one to go with...I'm close to pulling the trigger and I'm watching the snow melt as we speak!

Old 03-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #2

It sounds like a Chinese 250 will serve you well as your criteria are the most limiting factors to these bikes: "My wants for this bike are NOT top speed, I'd love it if it was a snappy but not a deal breaker I just want to be able to go up hills and trail ride and cruise/commute at 50-55mph."

With that being said, i think the carb model will serve you better.. it can be a set it and forget it once you get the carb dialed in.. but i think coming off dirtbikes with most likely far greater power and/or motorcycles, you may find that the power is underwhelming and if so, its better to go with the carb model that you can do all of the upgrades to and increase fuel requirements as needed (jetting/upgraded carb) vs the fuel injected model that may be snappier in stock form but will be left in the dust when compared to a performance modded carb'd version. For now there is no piggy-back fuel control or ECU mapping available that i know of which again is the biggest limiting factor to FI Chinese bikes.

Hope that helps and in case its useful here's a thread i started when i was having difficulty deciding:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=348397

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #3

excellent points about the carb model and was my thoughts as well. I didn't know if there were other factors to consider on the DLX. That $450 is probably better suited for mods and upgrades. Thanks for the link to your thread I'm gonna go check that out as well.

Ya I'm not expecting this to pull a power wheelie in 3rd like my DRZ or have the acceleration of my GS850. If I can pull out into traffic without getting slammed, and go up the hilly terrain here for some cruising and exploring...I'll be happy

Old 03-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #4

An immediate pro with the FI model is that there is no fiddling necessary, get on and go. But on the flip-side, some cons are the extra complexity introduced to an inexpensive and otherwise simple machine... more points of failure.. ECU, fuel pump, wiring.. I also read of some members having tanks leaking.. all of these reasons steered me away from it.
I hadn't even considered the performance upgrade limitations at the time.
The carb maintains the simplicity of the bike and is so easy to work on.
The DLX does come with the inverted forks though which i wanted, this led me down the Brozz path and after reading how it may have better build quality from the get-go plus the counterbalaced engine, i was sold

Old 03-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

As somebody who has had a carb hawk under him for 4 years now, and about 7000 miles, here is my opinion.

The Hawk doesn't NEED many of the upgrades to be a decent bike. In fact, to make the Hawk a good reliable bike the most work you will do will go into the proper assembly/setup of the bike. The more time you take to do things right here, the better the bike will be long term. Then, doing certain things as a regular maintenance item, such as spoke tightening, will keep it on the road (and from making taco wheels).

In my own opinion, the only real necessary upgrades would be at least a better chain than the factory item, although even here people have gotten a couple thousand miles from them.

Jetting the stock carb if you want to deal with unsealing it, or buying a VM26 or PZ30 clone and jetting those so the bike will idle and ride properly is another area. A PZ30B (stock carb with an accelerator pump) is a nice upgrade and there are kits that come with a quick turn throttle and cable in one whole shebang if you so desire.

I am not sure if they have improved the quality of the stock tubes or not, but putting in some heavier duty tubes isn't a bad idea, and others have installed bead/Rim locks.

My own personal opinion on a mod that is worth while is to at minimum de-cat the stock exhaust. The catalysts on these bikes are rather shit and really hold back the motor in terms of power, as well as put a hot cat right next to the engine and carburetor.

Beyond that, you would likely want to either install a 17 tooth front sprocket, or a 45-47 rear sprocket just to be able to get the bike to do that 50-55mph cruise without having the revs screaming along at redline. Top speed with stock sprockets is 59 at max revs.

I am sure I have overlooked things, and that others will likely chime in, but this is my quick 2 cents as I get ready to go to work lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-11-2021, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
As somebody who has had a carb hawk under him for 4 years now, and about 7000 miles, here is my opinion.......

I appreciate the input and that's all great info to have. One of my concerns was the chain and I'd likely change the chain and front sprocket right out of the gate. And I'm hoping to get this ordered soon and have a solid month to assemble, check, tune, mod, before the ice and snow and road salt are gone.

Once I pull the trigger I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and ideas...I've already done a good bit of searching around, plus I'm friends with Motocheez and so I can pick his brain some more when he's free.

One worry I had was my size, I'm not a small guy at 6'4 220, although hoping to shave 10 lbs off that for my beach body

Sounds like my time and money will be best spent up front with extra assembly care and good lubrication everywhere.

So I'm thinking must do mods/upgrades here for me will be carb, exhaust, chain & sprocket, and I'd like a decent digital cluster

Old 03-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #7

Sounds like you have a good plan! Looking forward to watching "on todays episode of Skyd... da da da da da da da"

Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
I appreciate the input and that's all great info to have. One of my concerns was the chain and I'd likely change the chain and front sprocket right out of the gate. And I'm hoping to get this ordered soon and have a solid month to assemble, check, tune, mod, before the ice and snow and road salt are gone.

Once I pull the trigger I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and ideas...I've already done a good bit of searching around, plus I'm friends with Motocheez and so I can pick his brain some more when he's free.

One worry I had was my size, I'm not a small guy at 6'4 220, although hoping to shave 10 lbs off that for my beach body

Sounds like my time and money will be best spent up front with extra assembly care and good lubrication everywhere.

So I'm thinking must do mods/upgrades here for me will be carb, exhaust, chain & sprocket, and I'd like a decent digital cluster
I am your height and 40lbs heavier.
The Hawk is very comfy as far as riding position, although the seat leaves a bit to be desired.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #9

Rather than start a new thread, figured I'd just update this one.......

Ordered my hawk last night from TXPowersports, of course used my buddies discount code: MOTOCHEEZ, get's you $25 which hey that's some jets for the carb and some rotella for the engine right?

Anyway, ordered me a red one with black as the backup color. So I'll be around on here asking for opinions and such but right now just reading up and prepping for delivery, haven't decided if I'm gonna work on it on my porch or just pull it right into the Dining room.....we'll see

Old 03-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #10

when i got my first bike (50cc scooter), my dining room was the designated home of it. it's beautiful waking up in the morning and walking out to your bike looking at you.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #11

I got my 2019 Hawk after a long hiatus from motorcycling and It is the best thing I ever did! Just putt around and find out where that road goes. I upgraded the carb and changed the sprockets (17 - 45) when I bought it. I am 6' and 210 and the bike doesn't seem to mind. Not sure of the top speed as the speedo bounces all over above 45 but not getting run over in 55mph zones. Changed to the NGK Iridium plug today and that may be the biggest improvement so far. Starts way easier and doesn't require 2 minutes of choke like before and also pulls much stronger on hills. Doesn't really care for road salt if you are a winter rider but rust is a nice color. The only reason I don't have more miles on it is this purchase led to a Vulcan Nomad 1600 and a BMW G650 GS and a seriously PO'd wife.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseless Trooper View Post
I got my 2019 Hawk after a long hiatus from motorcycling and It is the best thing I ever did! Just putt around and find out where that road goes. I upgraded the carb and changed the sprockets (17 - 45) when I bought it. I am 6' and 210 and the bike doesn't seem to mind. Not sure of the top speed as the speedo bounces all over above 45 but not getting run over in 55mph zones. Changed to the NGK Iridium plug today and that may be the biggest improvement so far. Starts way easier and doesn't require 2 minutes of choke like before and also pulls much stronger on hills. Doesn't really care for road salt if you are a winter rider but rust is a nice color. The only reason I don't have more miles on it is this purchase led to a Vulcan Nomad 1600 and a BMW G650 GS and a seriously PO'd wife.

Ya I've been bike-less for a few years now and I was getting itchy to ride. So I ordered and my bike should be here by the weekend. You changed to the NGK Iridium, was that from the stock plug or from a standard NGK. I'm not sold on the Iridium, but I don't really know alot about the either. For example I used to sell outdoor power equipment and E3 spark plugs.....gimmick IMO, did nothing to increase performance or longevity.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown