Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

Another Hawk in town

After riding and owning 3 china bikes for 5+ years, my Lifan GY-5 was getting a little long in the tooth. So I pulled the trigger on one of the Hawk 250 (229) cc bikes. I purchased from TXpowersports.com and had delivery within a week. Rather than polluting other's threads I figured I would start my own and report my experience thus far. I am overall pleased with the bike, however as we all know final assembly, troubleshooting, and tuning are up to the buyer, as no dealer prep exists at the price paid. I paid a little more than some here, but when finding the bike available for immediate shipping, I couldn't resist. I paid $1379 shipped to my driveway. I was eyeing the new Zong, but at $3800 delivered, that was more than I cared to spend for a bike that I may someday dump in a mud puddle and catastrophically ruin. Additionally the CSC Zong comes with on road tires, and where I off road is pretty sandy, so a tire change would have been an immediate necessity and more $$$.

Just hoping this bike is really "street legal" in NJ, as claimed on the purchase receipt email, hoping I'm not stuck with a boat anchor.

Hawk and 2008 Lifan GY-5

Last edited by wilserchinarider; 06-23-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #2

congrats on your new bike, I'm anxious to hear what you think about it

Old 06-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #3

Congratulations. Where are the photos? You know we love photos.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Congratulations. Where are the photos? You know we love photos.
I'm sorry, we all love photos. Unfortunately, my photos are doing about as well as my carb tuning last weekend. Trying to tune a carb with an unknown "no sparK" condition is humbling

Bike is running well, was disappointed to find the carb needle is NOT adjustable, the air screw has a tamper plug that is a little tricky to remove, and the carb bowl appears to be riveted not bolted to the bottom of the carb.

The new Hawk vs. my trusty old GY-5. I'm guessing the 2008 GY-5 has around 10,000 miles. I think the speedo cable filled with water and froze one cold winter night years ago around 2400 miles and I never bothered replacing the cable. The GY-5 needs a rear tire, sprockets and a chain. So instead of wrenching on the old dirty bike I got distracted and started looking at shiny new girls.

My first CB and current....

This photo doesn't do the Hawks tire justice....it is huge!

As difficult as it was to do....I really needed to free up some space in the garage. While recently talking with a lifelong very good friend, he mentioned an interest in getting into bikes....so I told him I have one he is welcome to come pick up and use N/C, he agreed but insisted on giving me a few hundred. Broke my heart to let it go, but in it's current configuration, the Zong tire / wheel size does not suit my needs. So I say goodbye to this lovely girl....a time capsule from 2006.

Quote:
Where are the photos?
I threw the Zong in for you Spud

Quote:
I think these bikes are one of the best deals in the marketplace right now.
Anyone remember the old EF Hutton commercials?

Last edited by wilserchinarider; 06-24-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

On the killermotorsport.com website you can request a mco and bill of sale or register the bike. Not sure about the txpowersport website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
After riding and owning 3 china bikes for 5+ years, my Lifan GY-5 was getting a little long in the tooth. So I pulled the trigger on one of the Hawk 250 (229) cc bikes. I purchased from TXpowersports.com and had delivery within a week. Rather than polluting other's threads I figured I would start my own and report my experience thus far. I am overall pleased with the bike, however as we all know final assembly, troubleshooting, and tuning are up to the buyer, as no dealer prep exists at the price paid. I paid a little more than some here, but when finding the bike available for immediate shipping, I couldn't resist. I paid $1379 shipped to my driveway. I was eyeing the new Zong, but at $3800 delivered, that was more than I cared to spend for a bike that I may someday dump in a mud puddle and catastrophically ruin. Additionally the CSC Zong comes with on road tires, and where I off road is pretty sandy, so a tire change would have been an immediate necessity and more $$$.

Just hoping this bike is really "street legal" in NJ, as claimed on the purchase receipt email, hoping I'm not stuck with a boat anchor.

Hawk and 2008 Lifan GY-5

Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

The Hawk truly is an attractive motorcycle, with a lot of nice feature. How tall is the saddle height?

Your Zongshen Sierra 200 looks to be in near mint condition. You friend is a lucky man to be the recipient of your largess.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

Hey Wilser,
Nice stable of rides there.

Can you comment on the front suspension differences between the USD forks on your GY5 vs the standard forks on your Hawk? Are they the same as far as stiffness? Nose dive on braking? Does the front wheel feel tighter... more solid on either?

I'm debating USDs on my next bike build.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

starting to wish I would have got a Hawk instead

Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #9

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
Hey Wilser,
Nice stable of rides there.

Can you comment on the front suspension differences between the USD forks on your GY5 vs the standard forks on your Hawk? Are they the same as far as stiffness? Nose dive on braking? Does the front wheel feel tighter... more solid on either?
I have never noticed much difference b/w the USD forks and standard on the china bikes.
Either can work well if properly set up, etc. The USD forks seem to be a bit sturdier. As far as nose dive and stiffness, I've had USD forks nose dive as well as the conventional, so IME I can't say one is better per se....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
starting to wish I would have got a Hawk instead
Come on now, there is no crying in China bikes Seriously, there is not much difference in the Chinese CG 200-230cc bikes. While the Hawk is a little more polished perhaps, it is still a CG China Bike. Your bike has the counterbalanced engine, as did my lifan before I drowned it and had to do an engine swap. I liked the CB engine and consider it a plus, so consider yourself fortunate....for what I'm guessing you paid, you did well enjoy. Cheers!
wilser

Last edited by wilserchinarider; 06-25-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #10

I would have struggled to let that Zong go.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

That Zong's exhaust pipe shield has the look of a 2-stroke expansion chamber.

I wonder if that was intentional. I further wonder if that ever turned off folks at a glance... thinking I don't want a 2-stroke. I know I've had to do a double take.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
How tall is the saddle height?
The Hawks saddle is 35", it does settle a bit in the back with a rider. It is 2-3" taller than the GY-5, while no problem on road, it will make off road more tricky.

Anyone know the feeling when you are off road, going very slow on a tricky tight section, you go to put a foot down and there is no ground there? The bike goes over like a fresh cut tree, the whole time you know exactly what is happening but nothing you can do.

Low ground or a rut under the pegs, or having the front wheel on a bump can unexpectedly increase relevant saddle height by about 6", timber

Old 06-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

Trust me, I know the feeling.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #14

The hawk is running well, with about 200 miles on the clock I am pleased. I have replaced the original 15t front sprocket with a 17t sprocket and I feel it a pretty good compromise to keep low end power and also reduce high speed rpms. The handlebars are a bit buzzy, I have added some pillow top Pro Taper grips, and they seem to help a little.

Went for shakedown cruise #10 last night and had a concerning incident.

ALL HAWK OWNERS TAKE NOTE!
Approaching an intersection I began downshifting and applying the back brake, very strange applying the rear brake did nothing, luckily I had plenty of following distance and used the front brake w/ downshifting to bring my speed down....the rear brake did nothing, almost felt like a gas peddle :(

I completed my loop of a few miles using the front brake cautiously and got the bike home for inspection. I first looked at the brake linkage, thinking surely it had come out of adjustment, finding nothing awry, I finally looked at the rear caliper.....OMG, it's not on the rotor!!! The photo was taken after I started prying the caliper back open and realized this is a photo op for the board.

A caliper mounting bolt had fallen out, allowing the caliperr to swing up and off the rotor...

The pads were pressed tight together, I pryed the caliper open with a large screwdriver, and it was easy to set back on the rotor. The crate bolts were a match so installed one and torqued both bolts.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #15

Very common on the China bikes. Loctite for sure on the brake caliper bolts. Glad it was an easy fix.

/