Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Hawk 2020 will NOT go over 50 mph!!?

I swapped the sprockets for the recommended tooth count... I completely removed my rear brake to eliminate brake drag and she will NOT go over 50. WTH?!

Old 04-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #2

How many miles on it ? What have you done with it in terms of valve adj ,carb set up etc ?

Old 04-17-2021, 11:07 PM   #3

She's EFI, so no carb and she has about 50 miles.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

When you say it won't go over 50, are you out of engine? Like is it 5th gear WOT and that's all she has or is it more like something holding it back?

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #5

She's WOT and has nothing left. I have no clue what's going on.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #6

what are you running for gearing? You say recommended but it's dependent on what you want to do...for trials only recommended might be the stock 15/50 which I think puts you about where you are for top speed. Also, I'm told these speedos are quite inaccurate...you could try a GPS speedometer on your phone and see what you're getting.

I'm not familiar with EFI on bikes at all, never had one, and so I can't speak to any issues there might be there with mapping or anything. I'm sure someone better versed in that will chime in here soon.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #7

17:45 gear ratio. That's a great idea about the speedo but I am required to take my Hawk to get to work and people are definitely easily passing me. I'm certain there's something going on.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #8

How many rpms do you build in 4th before shifting to 5th? when you adjusted your valves are you 100% sure you were not 180 degrees off on your crank? The cam only spins at half the rate as the crank.. Are you sure you used the right feeler gauge ,some have both metric,and SAE on the same blade. Did you snug the lock nuts up on the valve adjustment screws without letting them turn the screw ?

Old 04-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

I've messed with the rpm's before shifting in a multitude of ways and she just has nothing after 50 mph. Thank you for your help!

Let me ask, I was under the impression that if I was 180 off top center then she wouldn't start at all. Is that not true?

I was certain about my feeler gauge until you said something about it lol, I will be sure to double check! To be clear, adjusting the valves can affect speed that much?

I will check everything again. Thank you so much!

Old 04-18-2021, 03:58 PM   #10

Check the valves on an engine that has cooled off overnight. If it's not that, since it's FI, I think it's possible you have a blockage somewhere; my suggestion would be to get a propane torch on the cat, in case there is anything restricting flow, and get it red, or nearly red hot so that the crap that's potentially causing a restriction can be burned out.