Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #3301

When the master cylinder sight glass started leaking on my Lifan I glued a dime over it with JB Weld. That was 4 years ago and it's working fine. Now my bike is worth 10 cents more.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #3302

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
When the master cylinder sight glass started leaking on my Lifan I glued a dime over it with JB Weld. That was 4 years ago and it's working fine. Now my bike is worth 10 cents more.
That's some good stuff!
If I did that, my MAK would be worth approx. 36 cents total (US money).
That JB weld is really under-rated in my opinion. I don't slaver it on everything, but it has kept me riding while awaiting a more esthetically pleasing repair.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #3303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's a cool jack. I considered making an adapter for my car jack, so I can lift my bikes in a similar fashion.
Yeah, I guess if you have the right gear it wouldn't be too difficult to make an adapter.
Certainly an interesting project

Old 05-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #3304

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That is a true China Rider solution. Does the bicycle speedometer have a backlight for viewing at night?
Unfortunately not , I guess I could always have a small clip-on LED light to illuminate it
Though I don't do a lot of night riding

Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #3305

Quote:
You are wise to keep the spokes tight. I always examine the entire wheel whenever I change a tire. I also tightened a few spokes on both wheels when I recently changed both tires. You procedure was good, and you wheels should be in fine shape.

After you install the wheel, give it a spin to check for any wobble. When the wheel begins to wobble noticeably, it's time to true the wheel.
Thanks Spud , I'm glad of the reassurance.

Quote:
Yes, these tires handle very well on pavement, even while riding full throttle on limited access highways.
That's good to know , will probably go for some when my stock tyres wear out. might have to import coz of my Pesky 15 inch wheel

Last edited by katflap; 05-03-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #3306

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
The OEM battery is 11AH. I've been using the BatteryMinder brand maintainers for years, with never a problem.
What is the rated output of your BatteryMinder?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #3307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
I spent 30 minutes carefully crafting a note about these master cylinders and when I went to send it, my internet disconnected and I lost it. So now I'm pissed off....
I feel your pain. That's why I highlight all of the text and copy it to the clipboard, before I hit send. If the connection fails, at least all I have to do is hit paste.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #3308

Unused Connectors

I've been having a bit of a poke around these spare connectors and matching them up to the circuit diagram.

On my RX3 there's one under the tank and 2 under the pillion seat area.

My best guess is

under the tank
----------------
Red 2 pin connector - to a solenoid valve to shut off the fuel supply.

under the pillion seat
-----------------------
White 3 pin connector - "tip over" switch to operate the shut off valve for
when you ditch your bike.

For some reason they decided not to bother.

White 2 pin connector - No idea, but I know some bikes will have a connector like this for connecting a switch to turn on the MIL light so it will flash diagnostic codes.

yeah ,you know I was tempted to short the pins but I didn't want to risk frying the ECU

Or maybe a side stand kill switch as the Delphi MT05 has it listed

Last edited by katflap; 05-03-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #3309

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
A few days back I rode through a biblical, tropical, torrential downpour (visibility is about 100-200 meters) for about 50km.

Yeah, not really smart, but I was too lazy to stop, and if I did, I will have to ride a very lonely pass stretching about 30km in the dark, and it gets very spooky there (there have been cases of supernatural stuff there, and I'm not too fond of experiencing it first hand) .

Anyhow, after 20km or so in the rain, the gear indicator disappeared from the display, while others showed what they were supposed to show. I was at 5th gear at that time.

However, when I dropped to 4th gear, or upped it to 6th, the number reappeared. It was just the number 5 that vanished.

After a while, the number displayed normally, as though nothing happened at all.

Waters messing up with electronics? Why only gear indicator was affected?
I would surmise the temporary problem was caused by the torrential downpour. If the problem has disappeared, all is probably well.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #3310

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
I've been having a bit of a poke around these spare connectors and matching them up to the circuit diagram.

On my RX3 there's one under the tank and 2 under the pillion seat area.

My best guess is

under the tank
----------------
Red 2 pin connector - to a solenoid valve to shut off the fuel supply.

under the pillion seat
-----------------------
White 3 pin connector - "tip over" switch to operate the shut off valve for
when you ditch your bike.

For some reason they decided not to bother.

White 2 pin connector - No idea, but I know some bikes will have a connector like this for connecting a switch to turn on the MIL light so it will flash diagnostic codes.

yeah ,you know I was tempted to short the pins but I didn't want to risk frying the ECU

Or maybe a side stand kill switch as the Delphi MT05 has it listed
As always, thanks for sharing your research, Kat.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #3311

Quote:
I would surmise the temporary problem was caused by the torrential downpour. If the problem has disappeared, all is probably well.
Unless it reappears the next time it rains, or you ride through water, or a dog pees on the bike. Yes, pee happens. I think the Chinese have the right mindset about dogs. Yum!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #3312

Do you think the heat I'm getting from the right side is because of this hole?
I've notice the "patch", Zongshen put it there is not convering the holes.

what do you think? I have checked other RX3 on the web and they cover the holes.

Now... the metal thing there, is just to patch, I guess there's not other funtion.

3 holes.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #3313

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
A few days back I rode through a biblical, tropical, torrential downpour (visibility is about 100-200 meters) for about 50km.

Yeah, not really smart, but I was too lazy to stop, and if I did, I will have to ride a very lonely pass stretching about 30km in the dark, and it gets very spooky there (there have been cases of supernatural stuff there, and I'm not too fond of experiencing it first hand) .

Anyhow, after 20km or so in the rain, the gear indicator disappeared from the display, while others showed what they were supposed to show. I was at 5th gear at that time.

However, when I dropped to 4th gear, or upped it to 6th, the number reappeared. It was just the number 5 that vanished.

After a while, the number displayed normally, as though nothing happened at all.

Waters messing up with electronics? Why only gear indicator was affected?
Maybe it's water-related, but some gear indicators require a really solid shift to activate. On my v-strom sometimes I'll be in gear but the indicator reads a dash. Happened more during break-in but less as I put on miles and started making more solid shifts.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #3314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqueas View Post
Do you think the heat I'm getting from the right side is because of this hole?
I've notice the "patch", Zongshen put it there is not convering the holes.

what do you think? I have checked other RX3 on the web and they cover the holes.

Now... the metal thing there, is just to patch, I guess there's not other funtion.

3 holes.

Is hot coming out of the holes when the bike is running? If so, that could be the problem.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #3315

I was hoping for some ride reports at the end of the weekend.