Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

RX3 & interstate hills question

I just asked a you tube member this same question, but thought I would post it here as well.
Question: if I may, have ( any of you RX3 owners ) you tried going up a interstate 5% incline at 60 MPH with this bike. My CRF230L I have to downshift to 5th gear and on long 4% plus grades it will gradually slow down to about 50 MPH and hold there. ( lesser and/or shorter grades not so much an issue ) The CRF230L is not really interstate safe. I hate high speed 4 lanes, but sometimes just need to go down them a bit to get somewhere else.
Thanks to anyone's reply with real world experience in this matter.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #2

I frequently ascend steep grades on interstate highways and other roads in Idaho. The elevations are always higher than 4,400 feet above sea level. With appropriate sprocket selections, you can easily maintain a speed of 60 mph while climbing these grades.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-07-2016, 02:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
I just asked a you tube member this same question, but thought I would post it here as well.
Question: if I may, have ( any of you RX3 owners ) you tried going up a interstate 5% incline at 60 MPH with this bike. My CRF230L I have to downshift to 5th gear and on long 4% plus grades it will gradually slow down to about 50 MPH and hold there. ( lesser and/or shorter grades not so much an issue ) The CRF230L is not really interstate safe. I hate high speed 4 lanes, but sometimes just need to go down them a bit to get somewhere else.
Louis, it's only a 250, so a drop to 5th is to be expected at times. Depending on what riding you normally expect to do with it, the 13t will prolong that act, but I imagine 5th will still scoot you along just fine.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:24 AM   #4

Here in Denver and Boulder, I easily run up 5% grades in 5th gear around 60+ mph with my 13T sprocket. No problem keeping up with highway traffic at all.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Thumbs Up

on small bikes in the mountains or long grades on interstates i always find a loaded big rig grinding up the hill and duck in front of him, matching his speed for a leisurely trip up the hill. that way the boy racer types blindly charging thru traffic (age irrelevant) got to crash through the truck to get to me

watch out going downhill though, some of these truckers love to run up your back side to try and scare you, works too!
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
Heya Louis I'm the Youtube Member you spoke to earlier HAHA. Nice to see you here as these guys are an awesome source of info. I watched soooo many videos on that exact thing trying to figure out if the RX3 would be dangerous on interstate stretches especially the uphill variety. I have to say I am very surprised by the power this little 250 has. Our trip through the Ouachita Mountains up the Talimena Drive put all that to rest 60 mph uphill was not my issue. Running off the road at 60 mph while looking at the the mountains was my biggest concern.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger12XC View Post
Running off the road at 60 mph while looking at the mountains was my biggest concern.

Thanks! And thanks to all!