Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Pros/Cons

Completed my first oil change today and wanted to do a 200 mile review of my initial impression of the bike. Start first with the negatives and get them out of the way. Mind you these are my impressions alone.

Cons: 1) The seat sux. It's just not comfortable for me for rides longer than about 30 minutes. Mind you I have some lower back issues but even folks without those have said the same. I think Zongshen could improve on this at the production point and raise the overall experience of a strictly stock ride considerably. 2) Indicator lights on the instrument are a tad bit too small and as such difficult to see on a beautiful sunny day. There's 6 lights. If Zonshen doubled their size and then split them 3 to the left and 3 to the right of a digital display it would greatly improve visibility. Mode and trip buttons could be separated one to the upper left corner and the other to the lower right corner if need be. 3) The front brakes just arent as good as they should be. They are serviceable but just not as high in quality as the rest of the mechanical components. That's it and I fully admit these are personal preference issues and not mechanical failures, keeping in mind the weak front brakes. Now to the Pros!

Pros: 1) Seated on/in the bike is ergonomically comfortable, minus the seat. I found it well designed and my center of gravity lower that one would expect. 2) Handlebars and control are laid out as is typically found on most bikes with the exception of the headlight flicker switch and the aux buttons which are superb. I would love to see that flicker switch as mandatory motorcycle equipment . Love it! I install the 30mm Tusk risers and found they complimented Zonshen's original engineering nicely. 3) Handling of the bike is sound and confident. I've running the Kendas and absolutely love them on hardtack and find them more than adequate on moderate trails and off road adventures. The bike tracks nicely and you can flick it around with ease. 4) Panniers and trunk are resin but I think they do a pretty damn good job. They close securely and I think look pretty good. The truck could have been larger to accommodate a helmet but it isn't that big of an issue and I knew that when I ordered. I can always put something larger on if I wish. 5) Windscreen and turn signal do the jobs they were designed for. I may update my windscreen to a Winyoochanok model and I have already ordered the Detours rear lighting kit to add additional lighting/visibility to the rear of the bike. 6) The transmission prior to the oil change was solid but notchy and like other I've had trouble finding neutral at times. I changed oil today and filled up with Mobil Delvac and can already notice a smoother shift. I expect with wearing in, getting more used to the bike and maybe trying other oils it will keep improving. 7) The engine is solid. I'm still under my 500 mile break in mileage but I feel this engine is more than enough to run down the road at comfortable speeds without the thing wanting to fly apart. You're not going to win any races or rip around slower traffic but it sure gets you down the road. Anyone who says a 250 engine is too small for the American market doesn't know what they're talking about and probably haven't ridden these small cc bikes in a long time and probably never a Zongshen. 8) Overall fit and finish. I can't praise Zongshen/CSC enough on this. The finish on this bike is top shelf. The fit of the parts is tight and it's not a rattle trap moving down the road. The quality of the metal, paint, plastics are great. The craftsmanship on the milled components is outstanding. This bike is a deal breaker for the big fellas. I've owned many different Asian brands and I will confidently stack the overall fit/finish/quality of this bike against anything comparable in purpose and price. On a final grade of 1 to 5, subtracting for the cons, I rate this bike a very solid 4.3 .... better seat earns it 4 points immediately.

I cant say this enough. If you're on the fence about ordering one of these bikes . . STOP! Call Ryan and get one ordered. You're missing out on a hell of a motorcycle, a tremendous amount of enjoyment & fun and an incomparable bargain.

Closing this out I would like to thank Joe for coming across such a great motorcycle and recognizing it's potential for the North America market. Additionally I would like to thank Steve Seidner and his wife for taking the gamble, investing their money and bringing a fantastic motorcycle to us.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

Nice review! I have to agree on the seat. I trained my butt to do 2 hours in the stock saddle, but I'm much happier with the Seat Concepts tall seat.

The brakes improve with time, especially after a series of hard stops in an empty parking lot. After they bed in, they are adequate. But a set of EBC pads will get you more stopping power.

Front brakes
  • EBC FA185

Rear brakes
  • organic - EBC FA496
  • sintered - EBC FA496HH

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 06-05-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Corrections from my notes

Old 06-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

I am thinking I might have to buy one of the seats that CSC sells as well. I can do 2 hours on the saddle... but needs to stretch my legs not soon after. Good thing that the two hour mark makes for a natural point for bio-breaks and to fill up on fuel and water.

Agreed with Detours about the sintered pads. They make a significant difference. Or if you want significant stopping power, the big rotor kit from CSC works very well, and I'm very happy with it.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Great first review!

I'm with both detours and rtking on the sintered brake pads. I had them on the workbench before I brought the bikes back from Oregon. I did about 50 miles on the stock stuff just to see where I was at with the bike and changed the pads after that. I did get a little of the what felt like a warped rotor but it always goes away. Now, so far, there's none after the new pads seated and they are very predictable diving into a corner.

I'm with you guys also on the seat. Two hours tops. I've been looking at an Air Hawk but I think I may just spend the bucks on the tall seat if the good reviews keep coming in.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Nice review! I have to agree on the seat. I trained my butt to do 2 hours in the stock saddle, but I'm much happier with the Seat Concepts tall seat.

The brakes improve with time, especially after a series of hard stops in an empty parking lot. After they bed in, they are adequate. But a set of EBC pads will get you more stopping power.
  • organic - EBC FA496
  • sintered - EBC FA496HH
I've got a new set of pads that Spud recommends but I'm really wanting these stock pads to work as best as possible first... I read your tutorial on bedding them in ... gona give it a shot tomorrow.

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Great first review!

I'm with both detours and rtking on the sintered brake pads. I had them on the workbench before I brought the bikes back from Oregon. I did about 50 miles on the stock stuff just to see where I was at with the bike and changed the pads after that. I did get a little of the what felt like a warped rotor but it always goes away. Now, so far, there's none after the new pads seated and they are very predictable diving into a corner.

I'm with you guys also on the seat. Two hours tops. I've been looking at an Air Hawk but I think I may just spend the bucks on the tall seat if the good reviews keep coming in.
My tall is scheduled to come down the chimney Tuesday ... I'll let you know if it helps me out.

― Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

But a set of EBC pads will get you more stopping power.
  • organic - EBC FA496
  • sintered - EBC FA496HH
[/QUOTE]
i thought the front pads were EBC FA185

Old 06-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy dog View Post
i thought the front pads were EBC FA185
You're right, the fronts are FA185. The rears are FA496. I didn't copy all of my notes.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 06-06-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:59 PM   #9

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...erm=1261170002

Front pads, have them on both our bikes and they are WAY better. Don't let the picture fool you, they send the correct ones. And they look identical to the EBC's.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
I've got a new set of pads that Spud recommends but I'm really wanting these stock pads to work as best as possible first... I read your tutorial on bedding them in ... gona give it a shot tomorrow.
I have to admit that nothing I did really helped to balance the braking power between the rear brakes and the front brakes with the organic pads. (The rear brakes were easily more powerful than the fronts.) The sintered pads really made a startling difference in braking power, and balancing front and rear brakes to really haul down the bike from speed. I would highly recommend going with the sintered pads as others here have also advised. Good luck!

Last edited by rtking; 06-06-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

I would agree with all stated here. The original pads pre-bedding in are down right dangerous. I knew they would be bad due to the reviews, but I did not expect them to be as bad as they actually were! Now, nearing 1000 miles, the rear is still way nicer than the front, but I don't feel like I'm going to die now.

Dave aka Ghan

Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #12

You can pop the instrument panel off and when you do, you will find plastic covering up the gauges. Similar to the plastic film that lines any new electronics you purchase. Once removed, the gauges become more visible on a sunny day. I learned that from Peter!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
You can pop the instrument panel off and when you do, you will find plastic covering up the gauges. Similar to the plastic film that lines any new electronics you purchase. Once removed, the gauges become more visible on a sunny day. I learned that from Peter!
Rania, is the plastic film in the inside of the instrumen panel?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #14

this thread kinda upsets me ... you have all these miles on the new bike, and not one of those miles led you back to my house ... lol ... glad you are getting a little seat time in ... maybe we can get together on saturday and ride a bit ... i want to hit fox ridge anyway, and i bet you know your way around there better than me

Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #15

please define : sintered

good find madsocial !
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~